Our Saviour Lutheran Church, thank you for your gift to launch the Survival program in Nicaragua. Nicaragua is the poorest country in Central America and the second poorest in the western hemisphere (after Haiti). Compassion is partnering with Iglesia Bautista Sendero de Luz located in Managua to start this Survial program. The child development center called “Centro de Desarrollo Integral Camino al Padre,” is fully staffed. We are pleased to share photos of the devoted staff in this update. In a future update you will see photos of the mothers and babies in this program.
Survival is crucial for infants in Nicaragua. For every 1,000 live births, 52 babies die. The maternal mortality rate is 150 deaths for every 100,000 live births. Approximately 17 percent of children suffer from growth stunting, while nearly five percent suffer from malnutrition.
By the Numbers
- The Iglesia Bautista Sendero de Luz has partnered with Compassion International since 2016.
- At its child development center, Centro de Desarrollo Integral Camino al Padre, 279 school-age children currently participate in a wide range of activities targeting their physical, cognitive, social and spiritual development. They benefit from medical checkups, recreational sports, Bible lessons and family activities through Compassion’s sponsorship program.
- The center has already registered 19 expectant mothers.
- The average age of first time mothers in this area is 14 years old.
- The average number of children per household is 5.
About This Church Partner
Location: Barrio Oro Verde, Ciudad Sandino, Managua, Nicaragua
Community Size: 2,000
Weekly Church Attendance: 75 adults and 285 children
The Survival center is an extremely poor area of Managua. There is a 60 percent unemployment rate and the average monthly income per family is US $105.00 People survive by picking up plastic bottles to recycle, washing and ironing clothes, working as maids, selling fruits, and working in factories.
Because of you, this church-based center is now equipped to provide lifesaving services to babies and expectant or new mothers. Mothers and infants in the Survival program benefit from regular prenatal care, supplemental nutrition, and classes on infant development. They also receive spiritual care and the message of the gospel. Moms and their babies receive monthly home visits and also participate in group activities at the Survival center. Activities include spiritual teaching, fellowship, infant playtimes to encourage physical and cognitive growth, lectures on nutrition, lactation, and immunizations. All babies are weighed and measured monthly to ensure that their growth is on track. Thank you for investing in Survival!
Meet the Hands and Feet of Jesus
- Please pray for the staff as they minister to expectant mothers. Ask God to grant them wisdom and strength.
- Pray for the women who are registered and often come from very difficult circumstances. Pray that they find hope and experience spiritual, emotional and physical healing.
Thank you, Our Savior Lutheran Church! We look forward to updating you with photos of moms and babies in your final report.